Read about students’ commute behavior in the Fall 2013 Student Transportation Report available here!
The major findings of the study include:
- Nearly 2/3rds of students reside within 10 miles of SMC.
- Nearly 60% of trips to and from SMC occurred during peak commute hours.
- Students reported utilizing alternative modes of transportation for nearly half of all trips to and from SMC.
- Average vehicle ridership (AVR) for the week sampled was 2.59 persons per vehicle.
- About half of students reported at least sometimes leaving campus for personal errands.
- The most popular modes of transportation used were public transportation and walking.
- Corsair Connect, word-of-mouth, and print materials were the most frequently cited sources of information regarding available modes of transportation, each reaching roughly a third of respondents.
- About 65% of students who ride the bus reported being passed by a Big Blue Bus due to overcrowding while traveling to or from campus during the fall term.